Monday, February 16, 2015

Rare 1979 Scott McDowell Ceramic Covered Bowl Studio Art Pottery

Rare 1979 Scott McDowell Covered Ceramic Bowl Studio Art PotteryA few weeks back I was browsing around in a local shop when I come across this rare covered ceramic bowl made by award winning pottery artist & gay rights activist Scott McDowell (1948 - 92), made in 1979.

Unfortunately the bowl is unsigned, however, inside it was a hand written card that identified it as being made by Scott McDowell in Seattle, Washington, 1979

The piece has been confirmed as made by Scott McDowell by his sister Kim who maintains a Facebook group showcasing Scott's works and life, which includes the following description of Scott.

Scott Andrew McDowell (1948-1992) was a talented ceramic artist and gay rights activist whose life was cut short by AIDS. He was born and raised in Tacoma, WA and graduated from the University of Washington with degrees in both Ceramics and Microbiology. Scott operated showrooms in storefront studios in New York City and Seattle's Pioneer Square. His clients included many fine craft galleries and stores such as Neiman-Marcus, Barneys New York, and Henri Bendel.


Rare 1979 Scott McDowell Covered Ceramic Bowl Studio Art Pottery Rare 1979 Scott McDowell Covered Ceramic Bowl Studio Art Pottery

















When I saw this piece, I immediately loved it,  and wanted to buy it, however, it was rather expensive for me, so, I was about to put it back on the shelf, but then my good friend who was with me took it from me and said that she will buy it for me as a gift.     It has since then been my favorite studio pottery / art pottery piece in my collection.

3 comments:

  1. I'm downsizing my book/magazine collection (again). I have one issue of House & Garden from March 1990. I am looking online to fine updates for people that were featured in this issue. There is a two-page article about ceramist Scott McDowell. It mentions that he lived in Venice, CA, at one point before he moved to New York. There is a black & white photo of him in his studio.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'd love to read that article. Would you be willing to send me s scan. I'd appreciate it very much.

      Thank you

      Delete
  2. I'm currently suffering a dire financial crisis and am at imminent risk of becoming homeless, therefore, I am selling this piece.

    I really don't want to give up this piece as it means so much to me because of the person who gifted it to me, however, I feel as I must sell whatever I can to avert homelessness.

    I'm asking for $350 obo + shipping.

    ReplyDelete